About Me

My photo
My name is Leo, I am a student at Salem State college and I made this blog for my education class. Im new to this whole blogging thing so if I lose you im sorry! Im 20 years old 21 in august. I have a beautiful girlfriend named Ashley and a daughter named Lorelai. I look forward to teaching in the future and learning all I can!

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Are the Arts overlooked?


Research has shown that art is a very important part of a child’s life. It allows them express themselves freely mostly without restriction. However is it getting left in the dust?
Art has many positive factors on a child, including increasing non-verbal skills and cognitive skills. Art can give a child who is “falling behind” a chance to be good at something. I know that when I was in school art was my favorite class! Art is a natural source of curiosity and lets children’s minds wander to new and exciting things. It allows children to become involved in their schools and can even establish a sense of pride amongst a group. A strong bond can be linked between art and student to student and student to teacher relationships as well. By letting a child express themselves you are giving them an utmost sense of pride and accomplishment. It enhances the natural curiosity all students possess.
However sad to say especially in today’s economic crisis, art is being over looked. With tighter and tighter budgets classes like art and music are being dropped. Canceling these classes may help the money problem but it is ultimately the students that suffer from it. With a way to healthily express themselves students may feel contained and anxious. I think that Art should be a part of every school, economic crisis or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment