About Me

My photo
My name is Leo, I am a student at Salem State college and I made this blog for my education class. Im new to this whole blogging thing so if I lose you im sorry! Im 20 years old 21 in august. I have a beautiful girlfriend named Ashley and a daughter named Lorelai. I look forward to teaching in the future and learning all I can!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Social Justice


Is it good to teach what “they” want? It is an ongoing battle of teacher vs. society and there is no near end in sight. Teachers are faced with these issues everyday they step into their classrooms, should they do what they want or what they are given. In the class that I am observing the cooperating teacher showed me her “lesson plan” the entire book was pre-made, no decisions were really her own. At one of her breaks while the kids were in the library my teacher and a couple others were discussing how they were going to try and sneak some of their own lessons in with the schools. For teachers to have to try and sneak in their own work is ridiculous. We get into teaching to make an impact on kids lives, and the fact that we need to follow what someone else has already done, that doesn’t make us feel very accomplished. Teaching with social justice is an educational practice that promotes teaches to argue for justice and equity in all of their learners and in all educational settings. The practice is spread through all grade levels and academic settings, often making educators think harder and enlighten themselves as well as students. When I began to read Kohl’s article I will admit I was lost. I had to idea what was happening. Then reading though what he suggested for us, it began to make sense. I liked what he said about teaching against consciousness. “First, don't teach against your conscience. Don't align yourself with texts, people, or rules that hurt children; resist them as creatively and effectively as you can, whether through humor or by developing alternative curricula.” (Kohl)
I believe that social justice is an ongoing fight, but teachers need to teach. In order to get across what they need to, to the students they need to enjoy what they are talking about. Teachers need to display what they love in any way possible. Teacher freedom is needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment